Many people may think that braces are only for adolescents, teens and young adults. But the reality is that adults need braces too! In fact, over four million people in the U.S. wear braces today and 25% of them are adults of all ages, including many in their 40s, 50s, 60s and beyond. This number has grown dramatically over the last two decades, thanks to greater awareness, increased options for braces and advancements in orthodontic care. Adult braces wearers are clearly not left out.
Orthodontic Conditions that Braces can Correct
Adult braces are used to correct the following conditions as well as to improve their appearance and deliver a nice smile:
- A lack of space for all the teeth to fit normally which may involve twisted or displaced teeth.
- Excessive space between teeth, resulting in gaps.
- One or more of the upper teeth bite on the inside of the lower teeth.
- The upper front teeth protrude over the lower front teeth.
- Underbite occurs when the lower front teeth protrude over the upper front teeth.
- Certain upper and lower teeth do not make contact.
How to Determine Your Need for Braces
Review these possible conditions to determine if you can benefit from adult braces:
- Awkward tooth crowding.
- Severely crooked teeth.
- Bite problems (malocclusions) leading to difficulty chewing food, jaw muscle pain, headaches or damaged gum tissue.
- Frequent problems with food stuck in your teeth causing bad breath and tooth decay.
- Difficulties with clear speech.
Fortunately, there are good options for adult braces wearers, just as there are for youth. The right braces will depend on the severity of need, your orthodontist’s advice and your personal preference. These can be conventional braces, either traditional metal braces or the newer less-visible ceramic braces, lingual braces (where the brackets are cemented to the back of the teeth,) and so-called “invisible” braces. The most common of these is Invisalign.
Why Some Adults Who Need Braces Don’t Get Them
At an older age, a great smile and correction of dental problems are still happily within reach. Those who don’t get braces may miss out because they:
- Incorrectly think that braces are ineffective.
- Mistakenly feel they may awkwardly stand out.
- May feel that braces don’t look good (but consider the many public figures who have them!)
- Don’t like the inconvenience.
Choose an Expert Orthodontist You Can Rely On
When it is time for braces, contact Reese Orthodontics, The Smile People, based in Charleston, SC. Over 11,000 people have trusted Reese Orthodontics to transform their smiles and their lives. Great options. Great advice. Great results.