Invisalign Charleston, SC
Straighten Your Teeth Discreetly with Invisalign from Reese Orthodontics
We would all be happier with a straight smile, but traditional braces aren’t for everyone. Invisalign offers a revolutionary leap in orthodontic technology that lets you straighten your teeth without your friends, family, and coworkers noticing. Dr. Reese is a Preferred Provider of Invisalign in Charleston, SC and has helped numerous patients improve the health and appearance of their smiles with this extraordinary alternative to braces.
Read on to learn everything you need to know about Invisalign, and schedule an appointment at Reese Orthodontics to get started today!
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a series of clear teeth aligners that help to straighten your teeth over time. Your aligners are custom-made to fit your mouth, using a 3D computer scan. With these scans, we can plan out the precise changes needed for your teeth during your treatment.
Like a retainer, your Invisalign aligner can be taken out when you eat, brush, and floss your teeth. However, it doesn’t just hold your teeth still like a mouthguard. It actively and gently moves your teeth into the new, more desirable and healthy position.
Your Invisalign aligner is unique to you, and we create new aligners as you progress through treatment. Your orthodontist will take new scans periodically to check your progress and create new aligners for the next phases of your treatment.
What Does Invisalign Treat?
The problems most commonly treated with Invisalign include crossbite, overbite, overcrowding, tooth gaps, over-spacing, and underbite. Schedule an appointment with Reese Orthodontics today to find out if Invisalign is right for you.
Is it Right for Everyone?
It’s important to note that Invisalign is not a right fit for everyone. The problems listed above cannot be too severe for Invisalign to be an effective treatment option. While Invisalign is great , it cannot make major shifts in your bone or jaw structure in the same way that traditional braces can. This is why an assessment by a board certified orthodontist is a necessary precursor to treatment.
The Benefits of Invisalign
The benefits of Invisalign can be separated into two main categories: cosmetic and medical. Here’s what you need to know:
- Discretion – With Invisalign’s clear aligners, you can enjoy a nearly invisible way to straighten your teeth. This is useful for those who want to get a healthier smile but don’t necessarily want to show off a mouth full of metal.
- Comfort – These clear, removable aligners can straighten your teeth without wires or brackets. This lets you avoid the chafing ulcers and soreness that typically occurs with braces. These benefits are especially appealing if you play an instrument or have sensitive lips and gums. Invisalign aligners are an all-around more comfortable solution than traditional braces.
- Convenience – Invisalign’s aligners are removable! That means you can eat and drink anything you want during treatment without worrying about damaging your appliance. This gives Invisalign a huge leg up on braces, which can get food stuck in them and can get in the way of your brushing and flossing routine.
- Confidence – Invisalign can give you greater confidence. The clear aligners are virtually invisible, so you can be less self-conscious while improving your smile.
- Improved Oral Health – Invisalign’s smooth plastic aligners don’t have the many nooks and crannies of traditional braces, where bacteria love to gather. In addition, you can remove your aligners to brush and floss normally, which makes it easier to maintain good oral hygiene.
- Bite Correction – A bad bite often results from poor oral hygiene or genetically underdeveloped bones. Over time, both underbites and overbites can irritate your gums, cause joint issues in your jaw, and even lead to painful and dysfunctional teeth. This treatment can help to resolve those issues by realigning your teeth safely.
How Does Invisalign Work?
We’ll walk you step-by-step through what you can expect from the early stages of your Invisalign treatment so there are no surprises when you make your appointment:
- Consultation. If you are interested in starting treatment with Invisalign in Charleston, SC, Dr. Reese will first meet with you to ensure that you are a strong candidate for this treatment.
- Digital Impressions. Once we’ve determined that Invisalign is right for you, Dr. Reese will make a digital impression of your teeth. This impression will be sent along with your customized treatment plan to Invisalign’s lab.
- Custom Aligners Made. Invisalign then uses its advanced computer technology to calibrate a sequence of custom aligners made just for you.
- Treatment Progress. The total number of aligners you receive will depend on the treatment plan developed by you and Dr. Reese. We’ll schedule periodic appointments to check in on your progress and make recommendations for moving forward.
How Long Does Invisalign Treatment Take?
You may be wondering how long this treatment takes to completely redesign your smile. Since everyone’s issues are unique, there is no standard time period. Invisalign notes that the average treatment time is 12-18 months, but keep in mind that this can be different for you. The best way to find out how long it will take for you is to schedule a consultation at Reese Orthodontics in Charleston, SC. Once we understand the extent of the treatment needed, we can provide some estimates for how long it will take for you.
Follow Up Visits
As you replace each aligner with the next, your teeth will gradually move into their final alignment. As you progress, we recommend that you visit our office approximately once every six weeks for a check-up. During this appointment, Dr. Reese will review your progress with you, give you the next aligners in your series, and let you know what to expect next.
How to Care for Your Invisalign Aligners
Properly caring for your Invisalign aligners is essential to effective treatment. Any structural changes in your appliance can make them less effective, which can make your ultimate treatment schedule longer.
Follow these steps to make sure your Invisalign appliance gets cleaned properly:
- Rinse after removing. After each time you remove your appliance, rinse it with water. This prevents bacteria that lives in your saliva from building up in your aligner and causing it to smell.
- Clean daily. Use antibacterial soap to clean Invisalign aligners once a day or as needed. Remember to use unscented, clear-colored soap. Soaps that contain colored dye can tint your aligner and make it less discreet when it’s in your mouth. They can also stain your appliance with an unpleasant taste.
- If you remove the appliance to eat, remember to brush and floss before you put it back in. This helps you manage the bacteria problem proactively. And if you remove them for an extended period, keep them in their designated case so they don’t get dirty in the open air and keeps them safe from your pets. 🙂
What are the Risks of Invisalign?
Invisalign treatments come with very few risks. In fact, the main risk is not the fault of the treatment but the patient. Teeth love to return to their original positions. They do so quickly! This means that neglecting to wear your Invisalign appliance (especially at night) can undo your treatment progress.
Not wearing your aligners as prescribed by Dr. Reese you may run the risk of having to wear them for longer. If you suspect that you or your child will have trouble wearing an Invisalign appliance consistently, it may not be the best treatment choice.
Is Invisalign Right for You?
Invisalign may not be for everyone, but Dr. Reese can determine if it is right for you. As a Preferred Provider of Invisalign in Charleston, SC, Dr. Reese will work with you to identify whether you are eligible for clear aligner treatment. He will also happily answer all your questions about Invisalign and other orthodontic treatment options to ensure you receive the right treatment for your needs.
Schedule an Appointment
To learn more about Invisalign in Charleston, SC and all the innovative ways you or your child can achieve a spectacular smile, schedule an appointment with Reese Orthodontics today. Your no-obligation appointment includes a thorough orthodontic exam, low-radiation panoramic digital x-rays, pictures of your smile, an office tour, and comprehensive consultation with Dr. Reese—a $275 value, yours FREE!